San Antonio Philharmonic suddenly cancels remainder of season
San Antonio Philharmonic Photo Credit: San Antonio Philharmonic

San Antonio Philharmonic suddenly cancels remainder of season

The San Antonio Philharmonic has canceled the remainder of its 2025-2026 season. The news comes after the recent, sudden departure of the organization’s music director, Jeffrey Kahane, a string of canceled performances earlier this year, and a legal dispute with the owners of their current performance space.

Kahane announced his resignation on February 9 with a public statement. “I’m deeply grateful for the musical experiences I’ve had with the San Antonio Philharmonic and to the community of music lovers in this wonderful city that I have come to love so much,” said Kahane, going on:

“Every distinguished guest artist and artistic partner who has worked with the Philharmonic will attest to the power, skill, and beauty of the orchestra’s playing. The archival recordings of our concerts will stand as a lasting testament to the extraordinarily high level of artistic achievement the San Antonio Philharmonic has come to represent.”
Jeffrey Kahane Photo Credit: jeffreykahane.net

Kahane resigned halfway through a three-year deal with the ensemble. “Many of the concerts really focused a lot on Jeffrey and his unique talents,” said Executive Director Roberto Treviño, in an interview with the San Antonio Express News. Kahane served both as a conductor and a pianist for the organization, and the season’s repertoire was based around his unique skills.

Treviño said the ensemble will now be led by associate conductor Felipe Tristán, with whom they hope they can schedule new programs in order to salvage the rest of the 2025-2026 season. “We want to make sure these things are things that fall under Felipe’s strengths and talents,” he said.

The 2025-2026 season was expected to run through May, including guest performances by Inna Faliks, Roman Rabinovich, and Sasha Cooke. Treviño hopes that some of these concerts can be rescheduled elsewhere. “It depends on the type of concert,” he said. “We’re looking at a lot of different things. It may come down to doing some chamber events that allow us to use more intimate venues.”

Additionally, the orchestra has also been struggling to retain a permanent performance space. In 2024, the orchestra had announced a deal with the Scottish Rite masonic lodge to employ the historic Scottish Rite Cathedral in downtown San Antonio as their new venue. But in a January 2026 court filing, the Scottish Rite masonic lodge ordered the orchestra to vacate the property after the orchestra allegedly failed to pay a promised $750,000.

Martin Gordon, a bassoon player for the orchestra and a spokesperson for the musicians, spoke with Texas Public Radio (TPR) about the recent drama. “We received notification yesterday that the remaining concerts that were on the current schedule had all been canceled,” Gordon said.

“I think we have a group of musicians that has, that really endured a lot of, how should I say —challenges — but they're always committed and steadfast to go out there and play for our community,” Gordon went on to say.

Treviño has told TPR that “the season’s not over.” He said the organization will make an announcement in the next couple of weeks about the future of the ensemble and to “reassure people that we’re not ending the season here.”

Tony Le Calvez

Writer for The Needle Drop and AmplifiedSD. DM me your favorite snacks

What do you think?

Show comments / Leave a comment