Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

LOVED LIST 2K13 EDITION
  • So now that I've heard enough releases that I can say I'd put in at least an 8 range, I figure I'd better start this shit up again

ALBUMS:
    Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
    And So I Watch You from Afar - All Hail Bright Futures

EPS:
    Milo - Things that Happen at Day
    Milo - Things that Happen at Night

PENDING:
    Abyssal - Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius
  • YLT is an 8 for me. I've only listened to 2 2013 albums so far, though.
  • Albums:
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II (light 9)
    Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat (decent 8)
    Vanilla - For What It's Worth (light 8)
  • kinda lame that there hasn't been an Attack on Memory or an I.V. this month
  • Christopher Owens - Lysandre (strong 10.5)
  • I don't wanna attach specific scores to my albums this year, that complicated it too much for me last year
  • lol I don't even think Christopher Owens likes that album
  • @clydenut have you listened to California X yet? you might like it, it's like sludge pop
  • should I listen to the new YLT despite knowing nothing about the band?
  • haven't heard of it, but it sounds up my alley just by that definition
  • Re: YLT, you should probably just start with I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, then try the new one if you like that.
  • I'll go with that
  • Danny is absolutely right. I appreciate the new YLT more having played the hell out of I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One over the past few weeks.
  • is listening to 2013 albums something we're doing now? must have missed the memo
  • Honestly, the only thing I would list right now is Burial's Truant/Rough Sleeper. Even though it came out in 2012, P4K didn't review it until 2013, so it counts.
  • well I'm making it a point to listen to more albums that I probably wouldn't have bothered to last year, so yeah. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • If it's okay to put Truant/Rough Sleeper on my list, that's the only thing on there.
  • no @danny, you are not allowed
  • Albums:
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II

Between LongLiveA$AP, the new Beach Fossils album and II, II is the only "loved" worthy thus far.
  • Albums:
    Tape Sounds - Logos (strong 8)

Potential loved (need to listen a bit more):
    Ducktails - The Flower Lane
  • Local Natives- Hummingbird (Lite 9)
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra- II (Decent 8)
  • Local Natives- Hummingbird (Lite 8)
    Yo La Tengo - Fade (Lite 8)
  • Update:

N/A
  • how have you guys heard hummingbird? it's not on what...

I WANT IT
  • Milo - Things That Happen At Day//Things That Happen At Night
    Yo La Tengo - Fade

Those are the only two I've listened to this year and I loved them both.
  • oh and my Loved List

Yo La Tengo - Fade
    Toro Y Moi - Anything In Return

Maybe:

Vanilla - For What It's Worth
  • is Hummingbird decent to listen to outside of the whole 21st century Pitchforkian indie rock scene stuff?
  • It's streaming on itunes, and i found that out through Pretty Much Mazing. Their reviews suck but theyre pretty good at keeping you updated on new shit
  • I can't really get into it as much as the first album at the moment.
  • Loved:
    River Tiber - Synapses (you guys need to check this isht out)

Maybe:
    Toro Y Moi - Anything in Return (I'm questioning if it has longevity or it's just novelty right now)
  • Hummingbird is out in 320 on what now, suckaas.
  • let's pretend this is the leaks thread for a sec
  • you do have other accounts ;\
  • Hummingbird is out in 320 on what now, suckaas.
  • i have every accounts
  • oh Anthony saw Iceage tonight apparently (posted pics on Twitter). I'm pretty stoked to see them in March
  • Albums:
    SkywaveMusic - Buoyant (decent 9)
    Adam Green & Binki Shapiro - S/T (decent 8)
    Tape Sounds - Logos (decent 8)
    Ducktails - The Flower Lane (light 8)

Yo La Tengo - Fade
  • I feel like at this time last year I had Field Music and of Montreal and Pepe Deluxe, and this year I have bullshit.
  • I love how my favorite album of the year so far is leaked and ain't supposed to come out till march, lol
  • I think it's safe to say, for me personally that Buke & Gase - General Dome will stay on my list. I think it will endure the calendar year for me.
  • Albums:
    My Bloody Valentine - m b v (decent 8)
    Tape Sounds - Logos (decent 8)
    Starfucker - Miracle Mile (light 8)

Yo La Tengo - Fade
    Autechre - Exai
  • I like what I've listened to off that SkywaveMusic album so far. Bookmarked it hoping I might find time to go back and figure out what it's worth to me.
  • need to update this.

ALBUMS:
    Nails - Abandon All Life (lite 9 (right now at least))
    And So I Watch You from Afar - All Hail Bright Futures (strong 8)
    Iceage - You're Nothing (decent 8)
    My Bloody Valentine - mbv

EPS:
    Milo - Things that Happen at Day (light 8)
    Milo - Things that Happen at Night (light 8)

still pending for Atoms for Peace and Jamie Lidell I s'pose. and I've pretty much all but forgotten about that Foxygen album (you're welcome @vestenet)
  • guys why is my list still the same..

i dont even know what music i should be listening to right now
  • well, look for some.

rate your music exists so you can find anything your little heart desires, my boy. ~_^
  • @secondlpanet

"Boomkat product review for:
    Fire! Orchestra - Exit!
    Mats Gustafsson (The Thing), Johan Berthling (Tape) and drummer Andreas Werliin (Wildbirds & Peacebirds) follow that mighty Oren Ambarchi hook-up by working with an ambitious 28-piece ensemble drawn from Swedish jazz, improv and avant rock echelons "

I want this
  • i love surfin for tunes, but surfin for tunes on a slow ass netbook makes me want to murder people
  • lol well so much for Atoms for Peace making the list....
  • Clipping - Midcity
    Serafina Steer - The Moths Are Real
    Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat
    Blue Hawaii - Untogether
    Emancipator - Dusk to Dawn
    Kool Keith - Total Orgasm 2
    Szjerdene - Patchwork EP
    Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
    Buke and Gase - General Dome
    Jose James - No Beginning No End
    My Bloody Valentine - MBV
    Autechre - Exai
    Inc. - No World
    Milo - Day/Night EPS
    Inspektah Deck - Czarface
    Co$$ - She Loves Me Not
  • That Fire! Orchestra description is good enough to warrant a listen. Also, there's a new Momus collaboration out today, so if history repeats itself that should get on here too. But right now I have:

Isao Tomita - Tomita: Symphony Ihatov (symphony written by Isao Tomita featuring Hatsune Miku = this gets me wet)
    My Bloody Valentine - M B V (unexpectedly but probably)
    Atoms for Peace - AMOK (only listened to it once, but I'm all about my gut today)
  • It's kind of nice for Steve to like a really hyped album(s) for a change.
  • I really liked Snowflakes Are Dancing so I'm gonna have to check out that new Tomita.
  • @Shoey Yeah, I know everybody and their mother was talking up Symphony Ihatov, but even I have to put credit where it's due.
  • @HiResDes Bear in mind that this is an original composition by Tomita, and the only electronic element is the synthetic voice software Vocaloid, but it is a very good recording that I recommend.
  • I'm prepared now to put the Jamie Lidell album up there with Buke & Gase.

It just takes multiple listens for me to switch up sounds so much. But this album is really tight with it's production and the other songs have grown on me well.

This is where I wish Prince would have gone. Used to be such a huge fan.
  • Theophilus London's Rose Island mixtape from last year is very Prince-like.
  • Listening to the Jamie Lidell album for the first time, it's blowing my mind right now. It'll definitely make it onto my loved list
  • just wait til you get to track 8.
  • haha as soon as I read that, I realized I'm on track 7. SO NOIDED FOR THE NEXT TRACK
  • It's not an awful track, and I'm even liking it after a few listens. The first time I heard it though, it threw me off, and I didn't like it. Put me in a bad mood for the rest of the album.
  • hmm not sure if my understanding of your comment influenced my opinion, but I enjoyed that track a lot haha
  • essentially I hated it first time I heard it

now I like it.
  • okay gotcha. I'd probably say this album is a strong 9 after one listen, what was your take on it?
  • it's probably a decent 8 for me right now, I absolutely love the first 6 tracks, and it dips in quality in the last 5, but it's still good.
  • okay i see where you're coming from. I'll need to listen a few more times to finalize my decision, just thought I'd share my initial thoughts
  • I think Maurice Fulton's Syclops is probably the most under appreciated album released this year.
  • I find the last third is still growing on me with repeat listens.
  • NAILS- Abandon All Life (really fucking good, idk yet)

H/M:

Iceage- You're Nothing (decent 7)
  • people other than me and Kyle loving the new Nails makes me so fucking happy I can't breathe
  • Ehh... I'm waiting to hear what Sami Jarroush has to say about the record before I listen to it.
  • trololololol
  • he thinks it's too thin sounding, not heavy enough. also too quiet
  • I can't stand all of these fuckin' blog-buzz grindcore bands! AmIRite, broz?
  • lol if only hardcore and grind were as blogworthy as people think it is
  • The last Nails album was pretty well liked around here if I remember correctly, at least from the crowd willing to listen to something like Nails.
  • Nails is far and away my album of the year right now, that'll probably change... but I kind of hope it doesn't.

The title track is so fucking pissed.
  • Nails is really popular among the audience it's made for, but it's not like anyone who's not already into music like that are going to get into it. Nails don't have the crossover potential that some other bands in this style do; nor do they have the legendary status of a band like Converge that would make people outside of the hardcore/metal camp at least curious to hear what their music is all about.
  • yeah it's beat the new ASIWYFA as my aoty-so-far; also probably the first 9 I'd give in 2013.
  • Nails is coming. I kinda want to go just to watch the chaos.
  • @ClydeNut

still haven't heard the ASIWYFA album, but thats pretty much how I'm feeling about it so far... Still need a few more listens, I'm still only sitting around 5-6 total.
  • I think my AOTY is still mbv. Hoping Youth Lagoon will change that shit though.
  • @balmy if you wanna I could put that on DB
  • @Clyde - I really love the instrumentation on that nails track (seriously), I could totally fuck with that... (here comes the 'but')

But for me it's a shame the vocals are just screaming. If his voice was lower, I'd call it Death Metal (but I'm not awesome at picking out Metal subgenres as I only recognize NuMetal, Thrash/Speed and Death and I suppose just straight up Heavy Metal a la Sabbath), anyhow with Death Metal I find the vocals more easy to digest. The screaming here just moves towards the whiny too much for me, the lyrics are obscured. I guess I associate that vocalization more with hardcore punk and because the instrumentation doesn't seem quite so busy, I can actually appreciate the vocals.

So this would be a tough band for me to get into. But I'd really love to listen to that album without vocals.
  • Yes to Wide Open Wound too. Man... I wonder if I can get over the vocals (it does get a little gutterly in some places on that track which gives me hope)

Really tempted to try their show as it's only $10, but it's also Monday and mother-fucking-all-ages. I'd hate to have to beat on a minor for being a total dick.
  • That's funny because the singer is considerably more high pitched on this album than their last
  • I've been thinking about that too, not really sure which vocal style suits them better.

• oh and I so wish that hardcore bands did instrumental and acapella releases.

I would be so interested to find out if David Comes To Life is even abrasive without the vocals.
  • Not really, I don't think. It's easily Fucked Up's most melodic album instrumentally.
  • @HiResDes yeah that Syclops record is pretty killer.
  • Albums:
    Phoenix - Bankrupt! (strong 8)
    Mister Lies - Mowgli (strong 8)
    Jamie Lidell - S/T (decent 8)
    My Bloody Valentine - m b v (light 8)
    Tape Sounds - Logos (light 8)
    Starfucker - Miracle Mile (light 8)

Yo La Tengo - Fade
    Autechre - Exai
    Atoms for Peace - AMOK
  • Top 5:

Flaming Lips- The Terror

My Bloody Valentine-MBV

Autechre-Exai

Youth Lagoon-Wondrous Bughouse

The Men- New Moon

• gonna be song of the year
  • Some Autre Ne Veut love. Anxiety is probably my number 6 album of 2013 so far.
  • That ANV track is sick.

He's here on Friday. $10. But so is Shlohmo. Uuuugggh.
  • BTW, that production is what I was hoping/expecting to hear Timberlake on top of with 20/20.