Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vinyl Thread 2: got cats on wax on cats
  • here's what I got for Christmas
  • also if you don't like vinyl that's cool but please don't be a prick and just post #TeamDigital over and over again. You're not funny.

:-)
  • #TeamPlayerPianoRolls
  • I got money for xmas that I plan on spending on vinyl, just need to get out to the record store.
  • wanted to get Twins as well but I didn't feel like spending $20 more bucks at the record store.
  • I'm not happy with my setup either but it is what it is. Next birthday/christmas is probably when I'll upgrade everything
  • #TeamFuckVinyl
  • I would but the hole's usually too small.
  • You need some of the old 45's.
  • I got Animal Collective's MPP. That was cool.
  • Steve you are killing me.
  • My Christmas haul:

Deerhoof - Breakup Song (White vinyl!)
    The Postal Service - Give Up
    R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

• Didn't get anything specifically for Christmas, but I bought a bunch of music for the first time since like May recently and it all arrived around Christmas.

Oneohtrix Point Never- Rifts (box set)

and these:

http://eachotherssongs.bandcamp.com/album/heavily-spaced
    http://prisonart.bandcamp.com/album/celestial-shore-and-shopping-spree
    http://chrisreimer.bandcamp.com/album/the-chad-tape

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Found all these in Antwerp, Belgium. over 10 record stores, damn i wanted to grab so much. managed to only buy these few.

image image

• those first two are two of my favorite albums of all time
  • Religious Dylan? Interesting. That's his bet Jesus record, for sure.
  • @ClydeNut Pink Moon for me too. haven't checked out Animals yet
  • on Heems' twitter he hinted at a vinyl release of Nehru Jackets. I might buy it if it's not ludicrously expensive and if I feel like it.
  • You guys... I obtained one of my favorites of all time...

I have been waiting years for this...

pretty sweet gatefold on this thing
  • I really want a vinyl of Nehru Jackets. I hope that happens.
  • thanks man, so happy... its like my prized possession.
  • Picked this guy up last week. image
  • Got this from my lovely girlfriend =)

• That etching is really cool.
  • One of the record shops in my city is having a big sale this weekend. Hoping to find that Wild Belle vinyl! I will report back.
  • @canyonjoe I own that on CD already but the vinyl seems really cool
  • Me 2, yeah the packaging is really sturdy! unlike 'those who tell the truth' and 'the earth is not a cold dead place'
    Luxury Problems transparent gold vinyl. It's gorgeous. Also got Chromatics - Kill for Love which is solid pink. Sorry for the edited/shitty picture.
  • @Marsipolami Man that looks nice.
  • I hope to get some new records today. It has been too long. . .
  • Cool cover on that too, might check it out based on that haa!
  • Haul was: The Decemberists - Crane Wife, My Morning Jacket - Z, Deerhunter - Microcastle, Broken Social Scene - You Forget It In People, and LCD Soundsytem - Sound of Silver. Entry level indie, but I love the records so I'm ok with it.
  • I approve of all
  • I don't approve of anyone calling my favorite album of all time "entry level indie", but I do like all of those albums.
  • the crane wife is underrated as heck.
  • and i think its better than Picaresque.
  • Sometimes I feel like I'm a step behind lol. Obviously I love the albums, but I tend to like the more popular indie bands that p4k approves of compared to others. For example I love the White Stripes and Vampire Weekend and think they're great, but I don't think a lot of other posters here like them all that much. I remember having Bon Iver at my #1 in 2011 thinking that I picked the easy album, of one of the most criticized and popular indie bands. I also like The Strokes and Black Keys, who probs don't have a lot of fans here. That, and BSS is obviously the least known of the bands. I'm excited to spin them all tomorrow.

• Crane Wife = Picareque = Castaways
  • I really like White Stripes, Vampire Weekend, and The Strokes.

the Black Keys have great singles but their records as a whole aren't amazing.
  • Pretty sure The Crane Wife is The Decemberists's most-liked album after Picaresque. The problem is that people don't like it when you call it a progressive rock album (which it is), because nobody in their right mind likes progressive rock now.
  • Crane Wife > Her Majesty > Picaresque > Hazards > Castaways > King is Dead
  • Castaways is actually my favorite.

1. Castaways & Cutouts
    2. Picaresque
    3. Crane Wife
    4. Her Majesty
    5. The King is Dead
    6. The Hazards of Love (I've listened to it maybe twice, I actively dislike it)
  • do not understand the hate on Hazards.

I think it's good. Not great. Just good.
  • I haven't listened to it in like 4 years, ask me back in 2009 bro.
  • I really like Hazards too. It can be a fun album if you let it.
  • Hazards is my favorite lol but I don't like King is Dead at all really
  • I've seen The Decemberists 4 times and the et was when hey played Hazards in full.
  • "but I tend to like the more popular indie bands that p4k approves of compared to others."

you and me both, homie. love the white stripes and vamp weekend. i don't remember exactly, but bon iver was probs my #1 as well or at least top 5. black keys are great, own a couple of their albums. and i like the strokes, but definitely not as big on them as the others.
  • even this year, alt-j was probably top 3 for me. and they are probably the most popular.
  • Lol I'm the only bro here that doesn't give a shit about The Decemberists
  • too many people making too many assumptions.
  • who was the only one on the board who had Frank Ocean in their top 25?

Oh, you liked him too, didn't you TJ?
  • There were unique albums on everyone's lists bro
  • Mind Spiders SHOULD have been on everybody's list, you fucks.
  • it would have been on my list if i had made one, same with frank ocean.
  • haha just kidding, fuck music.
  • If there's one album more people should appreciate(or at least fucking listen to) is Loma Prieta. c'mon guys
  • I don't think you're going to turn people into screamo fans, Robby.
  • Still, it cracked our top 10, people should at least give it a chance
  • its just that Frank Ocean was mainstream indie lolzorz

the type of music the terrible music fans would like.

like me
  • guys dz deathrays was like top 8 for me and it wasn't on anybody else's list and nobody even mentioned it except for me and why and you guys and no fair and why and they are better than and you guys dont even know and why and you guys are suck at and cause it was and in my top 8 and why didnt you guys and should like and it was and so ya.
  • Guys. Ily and your vinyl.
  • I like Frankie Ocean. ;-)
  • Frank Ocean was in my honorable mentions and not that far away from making my top 25.

I've never listened to The Decemberists. I probably will try them out someday.

@solitude P4k doesn't approve of Alt-J at all, though.
  • I was really disappointed when I found out The Decemberists wasn't christmas music.
  • just like when I was really disappointed Frank Ocean wasn't seapunk
  • @danny wow, 4.8. You are right. Definitely disagree with that review.
  • Alt-J are more of an NME band.
  • @vesty wow, 8/10. You are right. Definitely agree with that review.
  • (I haven't listened to that album yet, because I'm scared I'll like it. :(|) )
  • It's growing!

• Some are hard to see, like Fiona Apple, Death Grips, Godspeed, Tom Waits, and The White Stripes. I'll post the new ones in this edited post soon. 

• The MPP thing just being part of the album cover is pretty fucking baller.
  • It's their best album artwork, by far. Just so bizarre. 
  • I just noticed my feet are in half of the picture.

#Feetcore
  • Oh I didn't know you had the NMH box set. Awesome
  • what's in that thing anyway? Is it just their complete discography with rarities and whatnot?
  • hmm, this is pretty cool. Probably not getting it, $12 for one song isn't my bag, but hey if BBNG2 gets issued I'll check it out

http://www.innovativeleisure.net/shop/flashing-lights/
  • Damn, that is cool... That is a lot of money though.
  • Sick ass gatefold on this one.

• That is amazing!
  • I should get that one one day.
  • TJ, I love that "Z" artwork. Looks so great.
  • Finally got that Heady Fwends vinyl I was hoping to snag

• change the brackets to < and >
  • actually nevermind you did the code entirely wrong lol
  • That is awesome. I liked that record, but I only listened to it once last year.

I should probably revisit it.
  • It has the perfect combination of structure and Flaming Lips usual fuckery. I'm jealous AMF
  • oh my god. That has to be some of the best coloring I've ever seen on a record. That is fantastic.
  • Isn't it neat? Looks really cool while spinning.
  • no blood pressing?
  • I wish. I just don't have thousands to spend.
  • @Marsipolani

That Andy Stott record is just gorgeous... way to go with that one, bro.

Not vinyl... but I ordered this bay boy from the only place I could find it online... Connecticut's (and Anthony's favorite) finest record store, Redscroll Records.

Sounds great in the car... I need more cassettes now that my CD player is officially broken (cut the fuse to save my battery, gotta love old car problems).
  • Redscroll is who I bought my Exmilitary vinyl from. I actually bought a couple of awesome hard-to-find things from their discogs account, including an out of print Fuck the Facts vinyl that they were selling for $6.66
  • look at that crud. what's that crud doing here? look at that crud
  • Ugh, Mirrored is pretty much #1 on my list of must-obtain albums. Its so hard to find a new/mint original press copy. Totz jelly, Antfant.

In other news, I spent like $300 on books for the semester so I figured as long as I was pissing away my cash I might as well continue the trend and treat myself to this: