Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Live Music (or is it Live Music)?
  • Since the crash, all I've seen is July Talk (3rd time this year, vids coming) and some band called Dilly Dally and Sandman Viper Command on Boxing Day (Dec 26th for the Americans).

SVC was not impressing me during the first half of the set, but then they started to play more aggressive and uptempo and it was starting to work.

Dilly Dally... Man I dunno. Shoegazey. Lead vocalist is.. umm.. not much of a singer. But she can strum. Rhythm section was fairly solid though. The highlight being their drummer. Of the three acts that night, he had the most work to do. The band all decided to wear bad sweaters. Lead Vocalist too the win for the cheapest ones. Some lame silk screened deer on a sweat shirt and then "you thought the deer was cool", off that came to reveal a shirt with lightening and a big tigers head on it. Gold.

July Talk was great again as usual. Played 3 new songs. Leah did her usual layer peeling thing throughout the set. The house drum kit was a bronze/gold metallic and she was wearing a bronze/gold dress, before disrobing she said "I feel embarassed, I'm wearing the same outfit as the drum kit". Ahh so cute. Anyhow I'll have to listen to some of the new tracks isolated from the rest of the set to see if they've decided on a sound. Then again, I'm so used to their album (recorded and live) that none of it stands out as odd to me anymore.

I should be going to see Shigeto, Motem and BBNG tonight but I dunno if I can convince myself to go by myself (my concert going partner is out of town). Roads could be better too. Hrm...
  • I'm at Touche Amore right now :)
  • You've made a wise choice.
  • Hot damn that was the craziest touche show I've been to. Awesome way to close
  • aight, now that I've seen my last show of 2012, it's time for this:

Top 15 Live Shows of 2012

1. Refused w/ Death Grips (really, was anything going to beat this? I'd have to see Radiohead for that to have happened)
    2. Mono
    3. Titus Andronicus w/ Ceremony and METZ
    4. Death Grips
    5. Menomena
    6. Converge w/ Torche, Nails, Kvelertak, ACxDC (night 1), and Dangers (night 2)
    7. El-P w/ Killer Mike, Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, and Despot
    8. Agalloch
    9. High on Fire w/ Corrosion of Conformity and Goatwhore
    10. Rush (this was unavoidable guys)
    11. YOB w/ The Atlas Moth and Pallbearer
    12. tUnE-yArDs and St. Vincent (co-headlining show)
    13. Russian Circles w/ Chelsea Wolfe, As I Watch You From Afar, and Deafheaven
    14. Wolves in the Throne Room w/ Chelsea Wolfe
    15. The Dillinger Escape Plan w/ Dangers and Nails

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/ClydeNut/top_15_live_shows_of_2012/
  • I disincluded festival sets btw, so Fucked Up, Sunn O))), Lightning Bolt, Beirut, or whatever aren't there
  • Top Live Show of 2013
    1. Jeff Mangum
  • I already got my likely #1 for 2013 within the first 4 days of the year.
  • fuck yes Loma Prieta is a go on 1/15!!!!
  • Every single show and bands I saw in 2012.

January 12, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Harlan Pepper
    Elliott Brood

January 19, 2012 - Princess Cafe - Waterloo, Ontario
    Maintenance Request Form
    Absolutely Free
    Joeb

January 25, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Nightbox
    Young Empires
    Kidstreet

February 2, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Kool Krys
    Buck 65

February 3, 2012 - Riverrun Center - Guelph, Ontario
    Lowlands
    The Wooden Sky
    Dan Mangan

February 23, 2012 - Maxwell’s Music House - Waterloo, Ontario
    Ben Caplan
    Papermaps
    Amos The Transparent

March 3, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Joeb
    Motëm
    Bocce

March 7, 2012 - Maxwell’s Music House - Waterloo, Ontario
    Air Marshal Landing
    Aidan knight
    Hey Ocean!

March 22, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Writers’ Strike
    Rich Aucoin

March 24, 2012 - Horseshoe Tavern - Toronto, Ontario
    Chains Of Love
    Gentlemen Husbands
    Two Hours Traffic
    Wintersleep

March 31, 2012 - Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics - Waterloo, Ontario
    Sarah Neufeld
    Debashis Sinha
    Colin Stetson

April 4, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Joeb
    Marine Dreams
    Baby Eagle & The Proud Mothers

April 10, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    The Weather Station
    Bahamas

May 1, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Illitry
    Eight And A Half

May 18, 2012 - Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics - Waterloo, Ontario
    Ben Grossman & Hugh Marsh
    Matmos

June 7, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Zeus

June 15. 2012 - Young & Dundas Square - Toronto, Ontario (NXNE)
    Plants And Animals

June 15, 2012 - The Silver Dollar Room - Toronto, Ontario (NXNE)
    Hooded Fang

June 15, 2012 - Sneaky Dee’s - Toronto, Ontario (NXNE)
    Odonis Odonis
    Phèdre

June 16, 2012 - Young And Dundas Square - Toronto, Ontario (NXNE)
    Portugal, The Man
    The Flaming Lips

June 22, 2012 - Maxwell’s Music House - Waterloo, Ontario
    The Jack McNarrin Project
    Ben Caplan

July 9, 2012 - Mongolian Grill - Waterloo, Ontario
    From East To Exit
    Dog Day

September 5, 2012 - Jane Bond - Waterloo, Ontario
    Bird City
    Bry Webb

September 13, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Bombino

September 27, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Doldrums
    Austra

September 28, 2012 - The Great Hall - Toronto, Ontario
    Slim Twig
    Yamantaka // Sonic Titan
    PS I Love You
    Cuff The Duke

October 18, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Mo Kenney
    Joel Plaskett Emergency

October 25, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Elliott Brood
    Wintersleep

October 26, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Elliott Brood
    Wintersleep

October 30, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Jenn Grant
    Cuff The Duke

November 1, 2012 - Wax - Kitchener, Ontario
    PS I Love You
    Death From Above 1979

November 13, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Sloan

November 20, 2012 - Kitchener Memorial Auditorium - Kitchener, Ontario
    The Sadies
    Los Lobos
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse

December 1, 2012 - Starlight - Waterloo, Ontario
    Gold & Youth
    Diamond Rings
  • you saw PSILY two more times this year than I'll probably ever get to see them :-/
  • I'd do the same thing as you but yeah I probably went to easily 40 shows (edit: 48 shows exactly) at least this year, so there's this if anyone's curious
    http://www.last.fm/user/agarsis/events/2012
  • Not that I haven't gone to see shitty music in the past. It's kind of funny to look back.
  • hey bb, that's a nice nostalgia reference point right thurr
  • I think me going to a Dance Gavin Dance/Emarosa show in 2009 is far more embarrassing.
  • I only went to 10-12 shows this year, it was kind of a down year for local shows.

I did manage to see Girl Talk, La Dispute, Feist, Tune-Yards, and Colin Stetson in Buffalo though... which isn't the worst thing ever.
  • my last.fm lists 9 but I'm sure it was more than that... I just forget to add stuff sometimes.
  • I still can't believe I missed that La Dispute show in Anaheim. :-/ I'll probably be going to the next Hot Water Music show just for the sole fact that they're opening.
  • Favorite shows of the year:

1.) Death Grips w/ Mykki Blanco
    2.) Girls w/ Real Estate & King Krule
    3.) Dope Body
    4.) Mac DeMarco
    5.) Pissed Jeans w/ METZ
  • In 2012 I saw:
    Sleigh Bells
    TuNe-YaRdS
    Santigold w/ Theophilius London
    July Talk (3 times)
    Crystal Castles w/Kontravoid
    Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra
    Death Grips w/Mykki Blanco
    AraabMusik
    TNGHT
    Hill and The Sky Heroes
    BeatFace
    Art vs Science
    Silkken Lumann
    Doldrums
    Yamantaka//Sonic Titan
    BadBadNotGood (twice)
    Steve Hill
    The Standstills
    The Black Belles
    Sandman Viper Command
    Dilly Dally
    Skrillex
    Pretty Lights
    Diplo
    Japandroids

and several others I can not recall.

The top shows were:

1) Death Grips w/Mykki Blanco
    2) Sleigh Bells
    3) July Talk (all three, but the Album Release Party was probably the tightest)
    4) TNGHT
    5) BadBadNotGood (NXNE Set #1, sound was not great at the TNGHT show)
    6) Art vs Science
    7) Yamantaka//Sonic Titan

• I'd like to see TNGHT live, but only if the venue becomes a sweaty-as-fuck dance floor.
  • I was sweaty, but I know for a fact not everyone around me was. Regardless, I decided to be "that guy" and rocked out with my cock out... so to speak.

That Skrillex show, I can guarantee you everyone around me was because they each wiped an ounce of it off onto me at some point during the show.
  • At Archer Live, or rather, in line for it. not live music I guess but whatever. This line is longer than the Death Grips show (same venue)
  • hmm, who's the one here who met Jon Benjamin tonight?

I wonder.
  • ...if I'm supposed to be confused, mission accomplished.
  • It's jelly.

Because I'm jealous.
  • ....this is one of those moments that I feel I should self-edit my original post.
  • Haha do what you want but it's not like I think any less of you for not getting that at first.
  • that jelly looks suspiciously like jello
  • I dunno I just googled "jelly" and picked one.
  • From the boxing day show...

• For being this band's first LA area show in 6 years, this is embarrassingly undersold
  • I'm a mere 5 days from seeing Jeff Mangum and crossing off his name from the "live acts I need to see before I die" list.

Getting Titus Andronicus, Animal Collective, Jeff Mangum, and Dinosaur Jr. crossed off in a little over a month is pretty fucking amazing...
  • Neurosis is a live experience like no other. I'm so happy I finally got to have this happen.
  • so yeah, The Antlers are apparently playing Walt Disney Concert Hall in April. No idea what the ticket price will be but if I can afford it I'm totally there.
  • Anyone see Toro Y Moi live? I'm tempted.

All I've found in the next two months of interest is:

- Yamantaka//Sonic Titan (but they're the same night as Lunice, so I think I'm going to that unless someone convinces me YT//ST is playing new stuff).
    - Ultraista (maybe... might be too slow)
    - Big Freedia (so tempted, I bet the show (crowd) is a sight)
    - Purity Ring (have the tix, so I am going)
    - The Vaccines (I dunno.. maybe, slow couple months)
    - Buke & Gass (I'm expecting tuneyards level musicianship, just a little less experimental with the arrangements)
    - Ty Segall (not into his stuff yet, but I trust the show could help.)
    - Toro Y Moi (see above)
    - Imagine Dragons (I need to listen to a bit more, but the production sounds up my alley, just not sure the vocals are working for me)

Anyone see any of these guys or have opinions? It's hard to get out of the house in Winter, so I'm sort of desperate. None of the shows are over $25 so... I get the feeling Purity Ring, Buke & Gass and Toro y Moi will be the most rewarding. For me Freedia, Vaccines and Segall might be the most risky. Imagine Dragons .. I just don't know yet. And I think I have a good idea of what Lunice's show will be like having seen TNGHT a month or so ago.
  • I have a week off school form Feb 18-22. Trying to maybe track down a couple shows in Toronto to go to.

Of that list YT//ST is the only one I've seen and they were freaking amazing.
  • Which of course, is the only one I've seen too.

Toro's on the 17th.
  • @WiredRacing Buke & Gass is really good live.
  • @dannyspiterijr good to hear. I am pushing #liveshowbuddy on that one.
  • Jeff Mangum tomorrow

fucking yes.
  • Have a blast. I see him on the 18th.
  • I was thinking about catching a train and seeing him in Detroit too, but I think it's probably better that I eat food next month.
  • But Jeff Mangum is an important part of a healthy diet.
  • Not that I condone cannibalism.
  • We're talking about bonus Mangum though, that wouldn't be a responsible decision.
  • oh fuck, I forgot I'm seeing Loma Prieta a week from tonight.

Not Mangum, but it'll have to do.
  • seriously though, if the dude really does never tour again I'll be very upset.
  • Live music? live at the radiostation: Traumahelikopter.

Quick, simple and nice!
  • I'm anticipating this being a "sit down" show, which is actually something I've never done before.
  • I've been to a couple like that. Sometimes it's nice just being able to sit back, relax and listen to the music.
  • I'd hate having shows like that all the time, but once in a while isn't bad.
  • It's actually standing room, I'm pretty happy about this.
  • >Friend from East Coast comes to visit for Winter Break
    >Friend says he's gotten really into Neutral Milk Hotel after the mixtape I gave him
    >Proceeds to announce that he gets to see Jeff Mangum live next week
    >I'll never be able to see Jeff Mangum live ever.

Forever.
    Forever ever.
    Forever ever?

Bear in mind, this guy once painted the Hail to the Thief album art on a pair on white TOMS shoes and when asked to name a single song off that album said "Creep." True story.

I should totally wear his skin and steal his plane and show tickets right?

I'm still batshit crazy by the way and I hope everyone is doing well.
  • Sorry Alex.
  • I feel your pain Alex. :-(
  • I'll be okay.... How was the Dinosaur Jr. anniversary show, Kyle? I expect it was worth the 8 hour train ride or whatever the hell you had to go through?
  • @ClydeNut Before the end of this year we're going to a show together, man. I really regret missing out on Death Grips.
  • I won't speak for Kyle but a certain guest that was there probably made the whole thing worth it, I'm guessing.
  • @alex yes! you should've gone to that DG show, it was fucking INSANE. Do you have anything lined up in the coming months? Here's what I got, I update this pretty regularly

http://www.last.fm/user/agarsis/events
  • you've met Kyle and are the only one that knows what he looks like. That counts for at least meeting 5 of us IRL
  • @ClydeNut I haven't looked at a tour schedule since I began this silly experiment so I have no clue who the hell is coming to LA. The only music news I've allowed myself to view is a Google Alert for "Silver Jews Reunion" and so far there's been nothing. As soon as I'm done with my hipster exile we'll go see Gorgoroth or Hammers of Misfortune or something. I haven't engrossed myself in metal yet, but I have plans to!
  • when's your experiment done btw?
  • Well fuck, that was amazing. I'll try to write a review if I can get my brain to work again anytime soon.

@Alex dude, fucking Frank Black showed up... I almost had a heart attack.

• guys at the beginning of the set the power kept dying.

Jeff did "The King of Carrot Flowers" IN THE DARK with no audio system and you could still hear every word. I have no words for how amazing that was.
  • I'm waiting for someone to setlistfm it instead of trying to reconstruct it from memory.
  • okay here it is.

1. "Two-Headed Boy"
    2. "The King of Carrot Flowers Pt 1" (unplugged)
    3. "The King of Carrot Flowers Pts 2 and 3"
    4. "My Dream Girl Don't Exist"
    5. "Oh Comely"
    6. "Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone"
    7. "Engine"
    8. "A Baby For Pree/Glow Into You"
    9. "Oh Sister" (1st ever performance according to Jeff)
    10. "Holland, 1945"
    11. "Ghost"
    12. "Two-Headed Boy Pt 2"
    --
    13. "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-mangum/2013/asbury-hall-buffalo-ny-4bdbb3c6.html

• It might be the first ever performance for "My Dream Girl Don't Exist" as well, it's weird he didn't start playing those songs until this tour. Especially considering he had that huge $88 box set where they were the most notable unheard material.
  • Also Jeff is kind of scary looking right now.

http://t.co/V2LZQfVQ
  • oh good lord.....that is awesome
  • So I guess he played all non-instrumental songs on Aeroplane except "Communist Daughter", which would probably be pretty hard to do because the effects are such a large part of the sound on that one.

I really would have like "Song Against Sex", "You've Passed" or "Where You'll Find Me Now"... but it's kind of above and beyond for any setlist I could have hoped for either way. I heard all of the songs that I absolutely HAD to hear.
  • I was pretty bummed that so many people ignored the camera ban, this YouTube video shouldn't exist.
  • Hey Alex!
  • "Naomi" is a song I'd love to hear
  • He actually did play "Naomi", that setlist was missing it.

Right before THB2.
  • I am assuming/hoping that a band that has the name "Eagles of Death Metal" is one that doesn't actually play death metal.
  • it's a Josh Homme side-project I believe. So no.
  • Going to see Major Lazer w/ Special Guests (should be Angel Haze) on Feb 28th
  • Should I see Crystal Castles? It's $30
  • Ummm... All ages? I mean I might see them again in (edit: if) their (edit: recent) live shows get good reviews and its not all ages. But the sound wasnt great at the show I saw a few months back and the kids were total douches, hopped up on something that made them extra annoying.
  • I'm only 20, lol. And that prognosis doesn't have me excited. I may pass
  • And no, it is all ages. most Pomona shows are, thankfully
  • Robby: Har! 19's the magic number here. But yeah, I was disappointed. I have a vid on my youtube from the show, but of course it was a vocal reverb song anyhow, what was off putting was the reverb was on for ALL songs.

• I'm also reminded Alice skipped whole verses of lyrics because she was crowd surfing so much. I suppose if I was up front where I wanted to be holding her up and/or having her shout in my face instead of starting mid-pack and then begin pushed 2/3rds back due to douchebaggery, it would have been more enjoyable, but otherwise it didn't do a hell of a lot for me. I was pretty hyped to see them though. So it's all about managing your expectations I guess.
  • yeah I don't think it's worth it. :\ might try to win tickets when the date gets closer, but there are things that are better to spend $30 on
  • on the plus side I just bought my ticket for Iceage in March :D
  • @ClydeNut

Not worth it. CC shows are well and good if you're a little bit of a less experienced concert-goer and want a noisy show with a crazy crowd, but for someone who's been to a lot of shows they're becoming a bit of a drag. I've seen them 3 times and while the first 2 times it was a pretty fun experience, the last time I saw them was all ages, and I hate to admit it because I dropped $45 plus fees to see them and HEALTH but it was one of the most annoying show experiences I've had in a while. The "poser raver kids" totally sucked, and I'm not even into their new album enough to dig the noisy indistinguishable instrumentation and vocals. It was cool to be up front and get a healthy dose of Alice, but other than that I felt it was pretty lame.
  • Broken Social Scene are doing a show this June in Toronto for the Arts & Crafts 10th anniversary. I need to be there.
  • Also very possible I'll try to get to AnCo and danny boy in Toronto.
  • That's another one I might make the trek up for.
  • Those shows are both on Saturdays so I have no reason not to go.

I have no fucking clue if I'll even be living near Toronto in June but I'm gonna try to get a ticket regardless.
  • man that Anco/Dan Deacon show is playing Toronto on a Saturday and Cleveland on a Monday with an off day in between.

I can think of a city right in between those 2 guys.
  • @hedgeway Yeah a couple acts I wouldn't mind seeing there on the 8th. But given these are during NXNE week, I'll be seeing enough live music that week already.